add/remove programs oddity

  • Start date Start date

Fred Pickering

In my 'add/remove programs' application within Control Panel there is a
large gap between the end of the "n's" and the beginning of the "p's"
entries. If you click on the blank area in-between it turns blue as if there
was a program entry but the details are invisible.
What is this?

Many thanks but it was in Spanish and even tho' I clicked the English button
I still couldn't find any reference to my problema?!!!
I hope that's a Spanish word!!

This is the message I get

The requested URL /Visitas/i58/Programs was not found on this server.

Many thanks however I do not have any problems installing or uninstalling
programs.
So your solution doesn't address the question.
The problem is this huge blank between programs in the alphabetic n group
and the p group. I would like to know what is this blank, what does it
represent and should I just ignore it and put it down to another Windows XP2
idiosyncratic behaviour?

Many thanks Ramesh - it was a plugin within Outpost - displayIcon was
set -1. Deleted - symbol, rebooted and problem went away.

"This happens if the DisplayIcon key in the registry is missing or it points to an incorrect file." from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/appicons.htm

It is an optional key and if absent (as it is on all old programs) then windows guesses the program by looking in Program Files for similar named folders to A/R display string (or name), then guesses the exe, then takes the first icon..

David,
Thanks. As the guesswork may go wrong, I thought specifying the explicit
program.exe Path resolves it. For the other problem, I'm wondering how did
you pin-point the problem to be the negative icon reference. Well done..
Other day I was going through the appwiz.cpl's scripts and could not follow
it fully, as it was in .JS

Fred, Here is another interesting note:
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/07/09/178342.aspx

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
"This happens if the DisplayIcon key in the registry is missing or it points
to an incorrect file." from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/appicons.htm

It is an optional key and if absent (as it is on all old programs) then
windows guesses the program by looking in Program Files for similar named
folders to A/R display string (or name), then guesses the exe, then takes
the first icon..

Back
Top