ActiveX is dead and so I cannot install flash, or use WindowsUpdat

  • Start date Start date

For a while now my ActiveX has been playing up, it refuses to install any new
components into IE including Macromedia Flash Player and even the Windows
Update software!

I have followed so many steps to try and fix it, including resetting all IE
settings to default, cleaning out all temp files/cookies/history, editing
folders in the %WINDIR% folder (ones related to downloaded programs). All I
haven't done is format and reinstalled Windows.

I run Windows XP Home with IE 6.0.2900.2180.xsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158. So many
people have tried to fix it without success, does anyone have any other ideas?

Btw, this is the error code on WindowsUpdate when I try to install the
software: [Error number: 0x8DDD0004]

Thanks in advance!

Hi rushworld :-)

Try the following and see if it helps:

Courtesy of Taurarian -

0x8DDD0004 - means - ErrorControlFailed

Make sure your firewall is not blocking the Update site and check any pop up
stopper
programs. Now check in IE tools\manage add-ons (Win XP SP2 only) making sure
that
WuWebControlClass is enabled. You may also wish to check
c:\windows\Downloaded
Program Files to see if anything is corrupted there.

If the above appears to be in order, try re-registering these files, by
clicking
Start, Run and typing:-

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll

You should receive a successful message after each one.

If you need to remove the Windows Update ActiveX controls and re-install
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319585
-------------------------------

You might also try this

When searching for available updates on the Windows Update site,
you see the 0x800A01AD error while looking for updates
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/showarticle.aspx?art...

and you can check here for further information:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&q=0x8DDD0004&btnG=Search

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

This was one of the steps I tried to take to fix my problem, but it did not
work. I've tried all suggestions on the Knowledge Base site.

I am completely lost and cannot seem to fix it without a complete reinstall
of Windows... Can't I download ActiveX/IE and just update it somehow?

Jan Il said:
[...]

Two additional (longshot) possibilities:
Delete the Temporary Internet Files folder. Login as another user with
administrator privileges, or from the machine's default administrator
account and delete the affected TIF folder from Windows Explorer.

You would not be able to delete this folder when logged in as yourself- it's
"In use." You should be able to delete it from the Administrator account.

Disable (for diagnostic purposes) third party security programs. Before
disabling a third-party firewall, be sure to enable the Windows firewall.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Jan Il said:
[...]

As IE is a core part or the XP program, it can not be removed. However, try
a repair of the IE and see if that helps:

Make sure your anti-virus is turned off.

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378
f you jave SP2, follow the instucttions in the SP2 section:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378#XSLTH3130121123120121120120

Jan Il said:
[...]

Back
Top