Accidentally changing things in "FOLDER OPTIONS",File Types tab

  • Start date Start date

Desiree D.

My problem: "Properties" on many items on my machine won't
display. I was in FOLDER OPTIONS and exploring the FILE
TYPES tab, I noticed that some items there had N/A instead
of an extension type. There was File Folder, and Folder in
this part of the list.I might have changed something
there,or my problem is maybe something else
completely...yikes! I don't know what to do...I'm still
pretty new at computers.

Hi Desiree,

About the N/A File Folder N/A Folder. What you are seeing is normal. Note
that in my experience using the Folder Options > File Types [tab] to modify the
action for N/A File Folder (and N/A Drive) can cause the Search Companion
to start when you double-click a folder. This problem is addressed in the following
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article. Note: Although it is written for Windows XP,
the resolution worked for my Windows 2000 computer.

KB321186 - Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=321186

And about the Properties sheets. The only time this happened to me was when
I had Zone Alarm installed. The workaround was to start Zone Alarm manually
after booting instead of configuring it to start as a boot process.

If you are running ZoneAlarm see this Google Groups archived newsgroup
post that includes a reply from Zone Alarm Support that describes your
symptom, explains contributing factors, provides advice including what
applications need permission to allow Internet access, and includes a resolution.

Google Groups Link to archived Newsgroup Post:
http://www.google.com/groups?&[email protected]

BTW, I have read in these newsgroups that Norton software can cause the same problem so you may want to try booting to Safe Mode and
seeing if the problems still occurs.

For more information on how "To start Windows 2000 in safe mode" search Windows 2000
Help for the words in double-quotes.

--
Carrie Garth, Microsoft MVP for Windows 2000
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- c x g

: "Desiree D." <poizonkiss AT hotmail DOT com>
: Wrote in message : Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 9:06 AM
:
: My problem: "Properties" on many items on my machine won't
: display. I was in FOLDER OPTIONS and exploring the FILE
: TYPES tab, I noticed that some items there had N/A instead
: of an extension type. There was File Folder, and Folder in
: this part of the list.I might have changed something
: there,or my problem is maybe something else
: completely...yikes! I don't know what to do...I'm still
: pretty new at computers.

Back
Top