Access 2000: 3999 record limit for graphs?

• Thread starter Thread starter Craig Humphrey
  • Start date Start date
C

Craig Humphrey

Hi,

just hit this in an Access 2000 DB. I have a table that's
just a link to a view in SQL2000. There's currently about
5000+ records. I have a form and the query for the form
returns all the records. But the graph I have set up only
ever returns the first 3999 records.

Is this a hard coded limit, or is there somewhere I can
increase this? My record count is only going to go up.

Soon'ish
Craig

Craig:

I believe that that may be the limit. It is actually a limit in
Microsoft Graph, not Access.

However, Craig, I consider that a reasonably large limit. Do you
actually have a graph design where you can notice that many "points"?

Richard "Manxman" Killey
http://www.accessdatabasetips.com

Hi Craig,

Thank you for using MSDN Newsgroup! My name is Billy and it's my pleasure to assist you
with your issue.

From you description, I understand that you created a form in a table linked to a SQl 2000
view. In the form, you draft a query which should return about 5000+ records, but you only get
3999 records in result. Have I understood the issue correctly and completely? If there is
anything I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my experience, it may be caused by the option of "number of records read" in
Access 2000 settings. Please take the following actions to see if there is some records
displaying limit:

1. Open your Access 2000 Database
2. On the Menu Bar, Click 'Tools' and in the pull-down menu, click 'Options'.
3. In the Options dialog box, navigator to 'Edit/Find' Panel
4. Check the value in the blank of "Don't display lists where more than this number of
records read", if the value is less than 5000, please increase it so that the returned records
can be correctly displayed.

Craig, please apply my suggestions above and let me know if this helps resolve your
problem. If this doesn't make sense, please describe more detailed information on the SQL
View and Access Form as well as the query itself, so that I can reproduce this issue to
address the problem and find possible workarounds or solutions. Thanks in advance!

If there is anything more I can do to assist you, please feel free to post it in the group

Best regards,

Billy Yao
Microsoft Online Support

Hi Richard,

it's a scatter graph, based on hits per hour and I'm
trying to see trends, but 3999 records gives me 5.5 months
at worst. And I have nearly a years worth that I want to
view.

Thanks
Craig

Hi Billy,

you have understood the problem correctly, unfortunatly,
the Tools | Options | Find/Edit | Don't display... field
was only set to 1000 and setting it to 10000 didn't make
any difference.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Craig

Hello Craig,

Thank you for your update!

As your query had returned all the records (5000+), the scatter graph/chart should return those
records and you mentioned it only returned the first 3999 records. However, I'm really puzzled
with the Accurate 3999 records, where do you get this number? Any snapshots are
appreciated.

Additionally, I'd like to know if the problem occurs recently or from the time when the graph was
created. It can help narrow down the issue and clarify if this is a graph limit issue or something
else. We'd greatly appreciate if you can provide detailed steps/information to reproduce the
issue. Thanks in advance!

If there is anything more I can do to assist you, please feel free to post it in the group

Best regards,

Billy Yao
Microsoft Online Support

Craig,

Thank your for your feedback!

Based on your snapshot and detailed information, I perform a reproduce on my side and the
result is the same as yours.

After creating a linked table to a SQL view which should return 5000 records, I insert a scatter
chart into a form and the query from the form really returns the correct 5000 records. However, I
meet the same problem when double-clicking the chart (graph) and only receive 3999
records!

This may be a Graph issue, but I'm not SO sure about that. I need to disscuss and confirm it
with my team and update you as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience!

Best regards,

Billy Yao
Microsoft Online Support

Hi Billy,

thanks for that. I guess I'll have to write my own graph displayer with no record limitations :).
BTW the attachment didn't come through. Can you send it to me directly (take the nospam. out of my email address.)

Thanks
Craig

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your update! :) I've re-sent the attachment to you. Please check it.

Thanks again for using MSDN newsgroup!

Best regards,

Billy Yao
Microsoft Online Support

Back