about OneCare and MSAS? r u worried. i am

  • Start date Start date

MSAS Fan

Microsoft say that the antispyware will be part of Window
OneCare which is a subscription service that wil protect
Window XP user. Now that Microsoft will eventually
release the Window OnceCare service later, do you still
believe this Microsoft Antispyware is going to be free?
anything is possible and it can change any moment.

MSAS Fan said:
Microsoft say that the antispyware will be part of Window
OneCare which is a subscription service that wil protect
Window XP user. Now that Microsoft will eventually
release the Window OnceCare service later, do you still
believe this Microsoft Antispyware is going to be free?
anything is possible and it can change any moment.

From what I've read, OneCare's subscription will include live tech
support. MSAS won't have any. Support costs and they charge you a
subscription to get it. You neglected to mention that OneCare will
include a better firewall. You could continue to use the limited one
already in WinXP, get the better firewall in OneCare, or go with a 3rd
party firewall (some free, some not). You also neglected to mention
that anti-virus will be included in OneCare. MSAS is *not* an
anti-virus product. Microsoft bought RAV so it could later provide its
own AV product. MSAS will only be one of several components of OneCare
but without the tech support, without the better firewall, and without
the anti-virus protection.

I think the following may be true.

You can have Microsoft Anti-Spyware free of charge WITHOUT any technical
support. If you have a problem in using Microsoft Anti-Spyware, you cannot
contact Microsoft for assistance. You have to solve the problem yourself.

If you want technical support for Microsoft Anti-Spyware, you can subscribe
to Windows One Care, and in addition to the technical support, you will also
get a better firewall and anti-virus protection. Hope that the firewall
and anti-virus protection in the coming Windows One Care will be as good as
the industry leaders like ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky AntiVirus.

Microsoft Anti-Spyware may also be available to Windows 2000, but you need
to get it from Windows One Care and pay a subscription to get it.

Michael

<Vanguard> wrote in message
| | > Microsoft say that the antispyware will be part of Window
| > OneCare which is a subscription service that wil protect
| > Window XP user. Now that Microsoft will eventually
| > release the Window OnceCare service later, do you still
| > believe this Microsoft Antispyware is going to be free?
| > anything is possible and it can change any moment.
|

| From what I've read, OneCare's subscription will include live tech
| support. MSAS won't have any. Support costs and they charge you a
| subscription to get it. You neglected to mention that OneCare will
| include a better firewall. You could continue to use the limited one
| already in WinXP, get the better firewall in OneCare, or go with a 3rd
| party firewall (some free, some not). You also neglected to mention
| that anti-virus will be included in OneCare. MSAS is *not* an
| anti-virus product. Microsoft bought RAV so it could later provide its
| own AV product. MSAS will only be one of several components of OneCare
| but without the tech support, without the better firewall, and without
| the anti-virus protection.
|
| --
| ____________________________________________________________
| ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
| For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.
| ____________________________________________________________

If window onecare prove that there software won't drag
computer performance to a crawl and they show that there
antivirus, firewall and antispyware is as effective as
the other 3rd party security application like, zonealarm,
symantec norton, mcafee...etc then i might consider
changing my security tools.

(e-mail address removed) brought next idea :
If window onecare prove that there software won't drag
computer performance to a crawl and they show that there
antivirus, firewall and antispyware is as effective as
the other 3rd party security application like, zonealarm,
symantec norton, mcafee...etc then i might consider
changing my security tools.

Well, you forgot the best............ ;)

http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/desktop/pc-cillin/evaluate/overview.htm

Really great.

3G said:
I think the following may be true.

You can have Microsoft Anti-Spyware free of charge WITHOUT any
technical
support. If you have a problem in using Microsoft Anti-Spyware, you
cannot
contact Microsoft for assistance. You have to solve the problem
yourself.

If you want technical support for Microsoft Anti-Spyware, you can
subscribe
to Windows One Care, and in addition to the technical support, you
will also
get a better firewall and anti-virus protection. Hope that the
firewall
and anti-virus protection in the coming Windows One Care will be as
good as
the industry leaders like ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky AntiVirus.

According to
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2005_02.php, GeCAD's
RAV (that Microsoft bought) tested at 94% coverage. So it is better
than the AVG and AntiVir freebies but not as good as Kasperksy, Norton,
or McAfee. Trojans, worms, and backdoors were RAV's weakspots back
then. Trojan detection coverage is what drags them all down for
coverage (except KAV) so you might want to look into getting TDS-3 or
Trojan Hunter.

OneCare is a combination of AntiVirus, System monitoring, and paid help and
support.

anything is possible. but i would really be upset and
angry if he decide to back out his words free.

I'm not worried--they are pretty careful about public statements --I don't
expect to see a reversal on that.

Back
Top