Windows 7 7 defragmenter ???

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I came across a sentence in an article that said that Windows 7 had a defrgmenter that worked all the time in the background and could not be turned off.

Is that true ??

I'm asking as I may have to upgrade at some point as I play games and it would be nice to upgrade to a SSD aswell. However if the staement is true then there would be no point in upgradeing to a SSD as defragmenting is not a good thing for SSD's.

:confused:

Abarbarian said:
I came across a sentence in an article that said that Windows 7 had a defrgmenter that worked all the time in the background and could not be turned off.

Is that true ??

I'd say untrue, yeah it will work in the backkground, but at scheduled times. Check out this linky. Its a pretty long read, but i'm sure you'll have better understanding once you have read it...

Defragging a SSD is detrimental to its health ... fortunately W7 knows this and will NOT auto-defrag a Solid State Drive.

As with any "service" one should be able to turn it off. :thumb:

I like what they did with Vista's 'defrag' ... they hid its general workings. The "average" user, and I use my sister as a guinea pig, do not need to even know what a defrag program was, never mind have to remember to use one.

In old-school-days we needed a defogger, these days we need to just get on with our work.

Set it & forget it. ;)

:user:

Thanks guys.

Here is a quote from Mad's link.

"Among the other changes under the hood in Windows 7 are the following:

• Defragmentation in Windows 7 is more comprehensive – many files that could not be re-located in Windows Vista or earlier versions can now be optimally re-placed. In particular, a lot of work was done to make various NTFS metadata files movable. This ability to relocate NTFS metadata files also benefits volume shrink, since it enables the system to pack all files and file system metadata more closely and free up space “at the end” which can be reclaimed if required.
  • If solid-state media is detected, Windows disables defragmentation on that disk. The physical nature of solid-state media is such that defragmentation is not needed and in fact, could decrease overall media lifetime in certain cases.
  • By default, defragmentation is disabled on Windows Server 2008 R2 (the Windows 7 server release). Given the variability of server workloads, defragmentation should be enabled and scheduled only by an administrator who understands those workloads.
Best practices for using defragmentation in Windows 7 are simple – you do not need to do anything! Defragmentation is scheduled to automatically run periodically and in the background with minimal impact to foreground activity. This ensures that data on your hard disk drives is efficiently placed so the system can provide optimal responsiveness and I can continue to enjoy glitch free listening to the Eagles :-)."

happywave.gif

Yeah, I believe W7 defragger is also a scheduled background defragger like Vista's, not fully automatic. I've unfortunately not been able to play with the W7 beta releases due to a crushing schedule at work these days (less time for computing fun), but from what my friend told me, it's still very slow, just like Vista's was, and does not fully defrag the volume even after a long time.

BTW, I don't think there is any defragger that is 'always defragging'...after a while there will be nothing fragmented and nothing to defrag.:)

Yeah, don't defrag SSDs..they don't benefit from conventional defrag and it uses up erase/write cycles.
I've been waiting to upgrade to an SSD for my laptop for the past many months, but I remain unsatisfied with the price to capacity ratio and the existing 'issues' with SSDs. Seems they need quite a bit of care to set up and run properly and even then they may stutter during multitasking. I hope the bugs are ironed out by the end of the year...I 'd really like a drive that is not susceptible to mechanical shock/vibration in my next laptop.

Crankymonkey said:
Yeah, I believe W7 defragger is also a scheduled background defragger like Vista's, not fully automatic. I've unfortunately not been able to play with the W7 beta releases due to a crushing schedule at work these days (less time for computing fun), but from what my friend told me, it's still very slow, just like Vista's was, and does not fully defrag the volume even after a long time.

BTW, I don't think there is any defragger that is 'always defragging'...after a while there will be nothing fragmented and nothing to defrag.:)

Yeah, don't defrag SSDs..they don't benefit from conventional defrag and it uses up erase/write cycles.
I've been waiting to upgrade to an SSD for my laptop for the past many months, but I remain unsatisfied with the price to capacity ratio and the existing 'issues' with SSDs. Seems they need quite a bit of care to set up and run properly and even then they may stutter during multitasking. I hope the bugs are ironed out by the end of the year...I 'd really like a drive that is not susceptible to mechanical shock/vibration in my next laptop.

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3650583.php

Plenty of info here to bring you up to date on SSD's. Ignore the waffle , look for the links.

happywave.gif

Back