192.com

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know how to remove your name, address etc... from the above. I was really shocked tonight to 'check' myself and find all my details and even a map of how to get to my house!!!!!

I am XD and opt of of having electoral roll details published.

Any ideas??

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Reaction score
Dude ! So does mine ! How they get that ?! lol :S

Would rather not have my house etc displayed for EVERYONE !!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It probably bases itself on old electoral roles for the past few years - I don't think you can get out of it. There are databases available to buy of almost everyone's address in the country based on all sorts of sources, so I'm not sure if you could opt out entirely.

Reaction score
i hate that site

at my home we get lots of these companies offering their products to us

its so annoying

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm heading for the woods - with my tent and my primus stove :eek:

I think I've finally stopped most spam telephone calls, haven't had a one in a week except for some whiney American offering me a trip to Disneyland Florida.

All that raw abuse seems finally to have paid off :D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'm heading for the woods - with my tent and my primus stove :eek:

I think I've finally stopped most spam telephone calls, haven't had a one in a week except for some whiney American offering me a trip to Disneyland Florida.

All that raw abuse seems finally to have paid off :D

lol

how did u manage to stop the spam calls?

mate over here im proper p**** off at the amount we get here
its realy annoying

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, at first I was just abusive, giving a two word answer and slamming the phone down.

Then, I pretended to go along with them for a bit and wound the caller up. I used many different options, some of which are too rude to repeat here.

At the end of each call I asked for their name and the name of their company, telling them I was recording everything and was compiling a CD full of phone calls for publication and I wanted to make sure I had their correct details.

They usually hung up at that point.

And no, I didn't record them, more's the pity, but I may do in the future if it starts again with any regularity ;)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear PSD999

Stopping the spam phone calls is dead easy:

Number 1 - ring BT/your provider and get them to block your number to these companies
Number 2 - NEVER tick the box on forms and other bits of paper that allow the company to send 'valued offers from third party companies' or words to that effect
Number 3 - get anonymous call barring
Number 4 - NEVER give your phone number out to anyone doing 'market research' etc.... - these people are often on the streets on Saturdays
Number 5 - definately go XD
Number 6 - make sure that your number is witheld - ring the exchange and get them to do it for you - it's free and if needed, you can release your number across the network by prefixing 1470

I do/have all of the above and can honestly say that I can't remember when I last had a spammer. I did ages ago and it drove me absolutely insane - double glazing, kitchens, soffits and gutters, loans and so forth.

This 192.com thing does worry me - you can tick a box when you re register on the electoral register each year to prevent your address being 'sold' on.

I am sure that there is something you can do to get details off 192.com (but can't remember what) - seem to remember reading something about Police Officers etc... getting hassle from people wanting to wreak havoc.

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Floppy

There's an excellent new service available now where you can record these annoying conversations and use them if needed. It was developed by a man who was fed up with poor customer service. It is a bit pricey but it is compliant with legal requirements if you need to take legal action. Haven't needed to use it yet but who knows????? I am sure I saw it being reviewed on Martin Lewis' (Moneysaver) website.

Gabriella x

Reaction score
gabriella said:
Dear PSD999

Stopping the spam phone calls is dead easy:

Number 1 - ring BT/your provider and get them to block your number to these companies
Number 2 - NEVER tick the box on forms and other bits of paper that allow the company to send 'valued offers from third party companies' or words to that effect
Number 3 - get anonymous call barring
Number 4 - NEVER give your phone number out to anyone doing 'market research' etc.... - these people are often on the streets on Saturdays
Number 5 - definately go XD
Number 6 - make sure that your number is witheld - ring the exchange and get them to do it for you - it's free and if needed, you can release your number across the network by prefixing 1470

Dear Gabriella,

thanks for ur long long list of advice there

must say doing all of those things correctly to avoid spamming is very difficult

sometimes on forms the tick can be hard to understand and when completing a form quickly this little tick is underestimated

i mean i will def think abt alll u typed and take it in account

best wishes
psd99

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Well, at first I was just abusive, giving a two word answer and slamming the phone down.

Then, I pretended to go along with them for a bit and wound the caller up. I used many different options, some of which are too rude to repeat here.

At the end of each call I asked for their name and the name of their company, telling them I was recording everything and was compiling a CD full of phone calls for publication and I wanted to make sure I had their correct details.

They usually hung up at that point.

And no, I didn't record them, more's the pity, but I may do in the future if it starts again with any regularity ;)

lol

i am quite aggresive with some of them

i do have a little go at them aswell

tell u wats strange
i was thinking of posting a forum on this place today at lunch time i was seriously!
but looks like Gabriella beat me to it!
great minds think alike!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
gabriella said:
Dear Floppy

There's an excellent new service available now where you can record these annoying conversations and use them if needed. It was developed by a man who was fed up with poor customer service. It is a bit pricey but it is compliant with legal requirements if you need to take legal action. Haven't needed to use it yet but who knows????? I am sure I saw it being reviewed on Martin Lewis' (Moneysaver) website.

Gabriella x

Thanks Gabriella, but I bought a cheap little interface from Maplins which plugs into the phone socket and then to a voice-activated office dictating machine which takes a full size cassette.

If I use a C120, I can record an hour a side.

I've just looked on 192.com, and there I am, plain as day, with my phone number for all to see :eek:

I wasn't aware of that site before. I don't like them :mad:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

I am going to get on to 192.com and see what can be done about being removed from their site. My job and that of my partner mean that we do need to take some care about personal details and the thought that some complete nutter could come around here aided by a map provided courtesy of 192.com telling them how to get to me is pretty shocking!!!!

I will let you know how I get on with this quest!!

Gabriella x

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm still intrigued by this mystery unpopular job of yours Gabriella ;)

Most unpopular jobs?

Hmm, lemme see:

Social Worker
Tax Inspector
Traffic Warden
Customs Officer
Prison Warden
Vehicle clamper
Tele-sales person
TV Licence Inspector
Door to door sales person
Magistrate/Judge
Lawyer
On street Charity promoter
Manager of England football team
MacDonalds counter person

I am intrigued.

Notice I didn't include policeman/woman in that list, although they're certainly unpopular with some.

And again - hmmmmmmmmmmmm ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

I think she is on her Majesty's service, but, I could be wrong :D

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

I grow sunflowers for a living and I don't want anyone to snatch my seeds and plants!!

Gabriella x

Reaction score
lmao it even tells you your neighbours :O

pretty cool really im going to look for a few famous people :p

wonder if they have the queen :D

Reaction score
tell you what!

the map beside your details....they put the circle in the wrong place!! omg :(

Reaction score
gabriella said:
Dear all

I grow sunflowers for a living and I don't want anyone to snatch my seeds and plants!!

Gabriella x

i grow them to but i dont see how u can get some financial gain from growing them?

unless u make money from SUNFLOWER OIL but that could only be once a year as sunflowers dont grow in uk all year round

unless u emigrate to the southern hemisphere.................................

sill a mystry your occupation.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm not on there at my current address!!:D

But I still show up on the 2002 register at my old address:(

Ask a Question